Gel/Acrylic nails, biting, and dry hands are some of the many ways to damage your nails. As a former nail biter, I definitely understand the struggles of maintaining healthy nails. But over the past few years I’ve become obsessed with polish and I’ve realized that nail polish suits long nails much better.
So here are some of my tips for regrowing nails:
1. Cuticle oil/cream – apply this everyday and it will help your nails grow stronger and keep hangnails away. I usually put it on and instead and wiping he excess off with a cotton pad I allow the oil or cream to soak in. I find it most convenient to do this while I’m watching TV or doing a task that doesn’t require my hands. I’ve been using Juleps cuticle oil but there are many alternatives from Burt’s Bees to Deborah Lippmann
2. Hand Lotion – this is especially important to use after washing your hands. Soap, hand sanitizers and daily life are extremely drying for your hands so keeping them moisturized with a good hand cream helps keep yo. I really like this one by Jaqua
3. Strengthening and Hydrating Nail Polish – apply this 1 or 2 times a week. This will help prevent breakage and peeling which is a common occurrence in dry and unhealthy nails. Using this overtime will help allow your nails to grow longer. My favourite line of nail strengtheners are from Sally Hansen but this one by Perfect Formula – Pink Gel Coat is amazing too.
4. Nail Oil – if you don’t feel like using nail polish all he time, using a good nail oil acts as a good substitute for strengthening and hydrating nail polish. I use Muji Nail Care Oil but there are many available
5. Water – drink lots of water. Maintaining hydration inside will translate outside to your skin and nails
For many nail biters, one of the consequences is have small nail beds. This makes it much harder to grow long nails. Though these take forever to grow back they will if you keep your hand moisturized they will eventually.
Pictures above: The first with polish on (Havana Dreams – similar here and Marylebone by Nails Inc.) and great lighting and the no polish on (not even clear polish) – both have no filter but one the top was taken in the morning and the bottom at night
Using a oil based hand scrub such as Crabtree & Evelyn’s Pomegranate, Argan & Grapeseed Hand Recovery will help your hands stay soft and look young. Which will be a great complement to your brand new nails 🙂